New River Gorge Canopy Zip line Tour - Trip DetailsMore information about the world class new river canopy tour and zip lines. Explore as you soar through the endangered hemlock forests of West Virginia.
Canopy Tour Trip SpecificsThe canopy tour begins at a practice zip station, where every guest learns the basic techniques of zipline riding. Any guest who is still scared after the practice zips, or who we judge is unable to do the zip at this point, will be given a full-refund. Once a guest begins the tour, there are “bail-out” stations, but no refunds will be given if guests choose to exit the tour early. See our Canopy Tour FAQ for more information.
- Canopy tour equipment (helmet, harness with trolley and break gloves)
- Professional Tour Guides
- 3 1/2 hour length (start to finish)
Canopy Tour Release Form PDF - Click to Download
What to BringYourself and maybe a camera. Be sure to wear loose fitting, comfortable shorts and good fitting tennis shoes.
What To Expect
- Begin the trip kind of slow and low then increase the speed and height as the day progresses. You will spiral over Mill Creek through huge hemlock and rhododendron. Then you will be shuttled back to base camp.
- TreeTops Canopy Tours are professionally guided tours.
- Tours consist of 8 guests and 2 tour guides per departure time.
- After signing a release (assumption of risk and indemnity form), a presentation about the equipment and procedures will be given to you & you will be fitted with a harness, helmet and gloves.
- Prior to departing on the tour, guides will clip you onto our 50 foot "trial" zipline (located a few feet above the ground) for you to practice launching, stopping and rescue techniques. We will also discuss the safety procedures we will be following during the tour.
- After a short walk to the first platform (2 to 3 feet above the ground) you will clipped to a cable for the first canopy zipline. You will spend the next three hours on the course.
- You will complete 10 ziplines. Ziplines vary in length from 100 feet to as long as 800+ feet , with zip speeds of approximately 30 miles an hour (depending on the weight of the participant)!
- Halfway through the course you will have a 830 foot hike at 10 to 20 % grade to one of the longest zips of the day.
- You will walk on 5 sky bridges, take 2 short hikes to gain elevation (you need to be physically capable of walking up a 10 to 20% grades) and end your adventure with a rappell 35 feet down from the final platform! A short shuttle brings you back to our Adventure Center.
- Ask about our packages which include the canopy tour, lodging, meals and another half day activity such as rafting, mountain biking, rappelling, or another adventure!
- Minimum weight is 90 lbs (recommended age 10 years & older); Maximum weight is 260 lbs.